Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell 2650s, Fibre Channel, Compaq RA 4100

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumerley

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2003
US
I am in the process of configuring two Dell 2650 servers attached to a Compaq RA 4100 via fibre channel using a Compaq FC-AL switch.

The Dell servers have been unable to identify the RA 4100, despite loading the most recent drivers, using all the configuration utilities, etc. The Dell Array Manager utility descibes the disk as Status Unreadable and Type Unknown Disk. If I attempt to 'Revert to Basic Disk', I receive an error from Array Manager stating it is 'Unable to read disk layout information'.

I contacted HP/Compaq support, and the suggestion was to use one of the Compaq fibre channel cards from another of my Compaq servers. I attempted this action this morning, but the card is a completely different form factor than the Dell hardware will accept. The current HPA is a QLogic QLA-2200 PCI Fibre Channel Adapter.

My question is if anyone has configured a similar setup in the past (successfully), of if anyone has any ideas as to why this configuration does not work. At this point, I've narrowed it down to three things:

1) The HPAs from Dell are unable to communicate with the array (i.e. incompatible).

2) The fibre channel switch from Compaq is unable to communicate with the HPAs from Dell.

3) This setup is simply not going to work.

Any info/experiences would be appreciated as I've exhausted the Knowledge Base search from Dell, Compaq and QLogic.

sorry to say - i would go with 3

i'm not a big dell fan

what os are you running?

Win2k Advanced Server (this will be a clustered environment if I get it up and running). SP4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back