Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell 2600 Hangs / Crash 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

faheem74

Technical User
May 7, 2001
CA
Hi

I'm running 2 Dell Poweredge 2650 Servers (2 x 2Ghz Xeon,
2Gb RAM Each,PERC3-DI) Win2K Server SP3 with Terminal service installed.

Both the servers have several applications installed
including Novell Client 4.83 SP1, Group wise 5, Office XP,
LAN WorkPlace pro (emulation software), eTrust antivirus
6.0 and some other software.

Both of these servers works fine for 2-3 days & than
either get freeze / very slow response of user clicks on
console or just crash (blank screen with all the sever
lights on & no BSOD); restarting the server will help to
continue the work.

Will appreciate any suggestions.

Thanx
Faheem

I'd run performance monitor and check for memory leaks etc. I assume nothing of interest is showing up in event viewer?

We have some almost identical servers here but just doing file serving and haven't had any issues, it could be the hardware at fault but my money would be on the software...

How old is your system? Are you aware that Dell had MAJOR issues with the 2650 earlier this year? There was a problem with the chipset that has since been fixed.

OVERVIEW: Inside sources have confirmed that in late December, Dell experienced significant problems with its PowerEdge 2650, it's "bread and butter" 2-way server, that were severe enough to cause a full halt for 28 days. The problem involved a serious 'bug' on a ServerWorks Grand Champion chipset, that was not caught by Dell engineers, and required dozens of revisions to fix. The problem was significant enough that customers such as GE reportedly threatened to drop Dell's server line, and shipments to AT&T and other large customers were pushed out dramatically. A software patch has apparently been completed, and no hardware replacements are expected, though our sources indicate Dell has only recently resumed limited shipments of the PowerEdge server since mid-January.

Thanx very much for the information; servers were shipped to us in end of december 2002.

I have recently done the BIOS & ESM updates and hoping it will not crash again.

Plz let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thnax

Dell recently contacted us about our 2650. Dell has undertaken a major bios enhancement to fix the problems they have had with this server line. Their call came in early March, and they sent their technician out a week ago to upgrade the server. While we have had no problems with our 2650, they are apparently upgrading all 2650 servers that they have registrations on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back