Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell 2100 migration to Dell 2500 raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

etuero

Technical User
Jul 27, 2001
US
Is there any way to image a non raid server and put the image onto a raid server ? we currently use a Dell 2100 as our PDC and it is fading fast. We purchased a Dell PowerEdge 2500 with Raid and now want to migrate OS and Data without reinstalling everything from scratch ?

Help

Erick

The RAID on the 2500 is Hardware based. All you need to do is create the RAID set from the PERC controller. Create an image of the 2100 using something like Norton Ghost. Burn that image to a bootable CD. Put it into the new 2500 and away you go.

Now, you will probably have a problem moving the image to the 2500 since the chip set and all the internal are A LOT different. I would try all this before you destroy the 2100. Have your OpenManage CD's handy because you will need to load the drivers for all the stuff; chipset, RAID card, NIC...

That sounds too easy...what is a PERC controller ?

PERC is the RAID controller that Dell sells with their servers. My guess is you purchased one. You will know if you have one. Look at your order.

(P)ower(E)dge(R)aid(C)ontroller

Have you managed to get this to work ?

I would assume that you are using a DOS version of GHOST ? Don't you need to to load the PERC drivers (so that the disks are recognised) before doing the re-imaging ?

I am having trouble with this at the moment.

Any advice appreciated.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back