Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpluskota

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
GB
One of our users keeps recieving this message when he sends email to a certain recipient.

No other users are getting this message. We are running Exch 2000 & Win2000.

Any ideas.

Is the user receiving this meesage getting an NDR after the retry attempts (default NDR is 48 hours after first delay notification, I believe)? If so, can you post a copy of the NDR?

Assuming you are talking about sending external email, lets say your user A is sending to userz@thisdomain.com.
1.)Can user A send to other domains ok?
2.)Do other users sending to userz@thisdomain.com receive the same delay error?
3.)Can user A send an email to postmaster@thisdomain.com (or any other user email in thisdomain.com)?

Or is user A receiving this error from sending email internally?

Gary [noevil]

I am getting the same message and it is only from one domain. The status field shows 4.4.7. I am new at this and am wondering what I can check on the server to make sure that the problem is not on my end. Any help is greatly appreciated.

A 4.4.7 usually indicates trouble on the receiving server.

Have the user double check the email address for a stray space or period, then confirm that anyone else in your office can send to this same recipient with no troubles.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Email Address checks out OK.
I did an nslookup for the domain on my exchange server and it sees the domain. Anything else I can check?

Did you have someone else send to the same address? Did it go straight through?

It goes straight through when I send it from my personal yahoo account. I can see the messages in queue on the server with an error that says: An SMTP protocol error occurred.

What I meant was for you to send an email to this problem address from another email account inside your Exchange environment, not from an outside webmail account.

Yes that has been done. We have many employees trying to send email to this domain.

If you haven't already, turn on your SMTP logs and then try sending to this address. Go to the logs and see what is happening.

I turned on the SMTP log and sent a few emails but they do not show up in the log.

Have you checked in the System Manager to see if they're sitting in the queue? You may be blacklisted by the recipients server.

Yes I can see them sitting in the queue. I believe that the problem is at the far end server but I just want to cover all bases here before I start pointing fingers.

I am having this exact problem. I've monitored my Exchange server queue and I can see the message in a Retry state. I right click on it and select force connection. The state changes to Active. However, the message is still not going. I've even monitored my Firewall, but any messages leaving our domain goes through our ISP so we cannot see the exact address messages are being routed to.

I also traced the email route to the domain and it was successfull in 18hops. I then when to me Exchange server and increased the number of maximum hops to 20 from 15 to se if it would solve the problem, it didn't.

Any other suggestions?

Has anyone determined if this is a recipient server problem spam blocking or sending server problem ?

I called the Sys Admin for the domain in qustion to find out if our domain was black listed. However, we were not. It also turns out that some emails to the address do go through while some fail.

I spoke to a friend of mine, he is a cisco router engineer and he is working on the problem for me. We blieve that there might be a bad routher between our domain and the receipient domain.

Run the DNS report on your own organisation at
Run a mail test from the same site on the problematic address

Check with your ISP that you have reverse lookup enabled (the DNS report may tell you this, dont remember)

The above will point you in the right direction to narrow down the problem

Cheers

Paul

I am experiencing this problem, only I am on the RECEIVING end. There is one domain that we cannot get mail from. I have tried everything and can't figure it out. I have run every DNS test I can think of at DNSstuff and dnsreports as well as a few other sites. I have checked the logs. I have telneted, nslookuped and everything to death. Yes 4.4.7 according to MS is usually on the receiving server, but I can't find anything wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back