Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delivery problems to certain domains and dns

Status
Not open for further replies.

norryguy

MIS
Nov 19, 2002
US
We have an exchange 2k sp3 win2k sp3 server. Until recently we had been using 3 domains. To temporarily reduce influx of spam we reassigned our oldest 2 domains to another ip and setup an exchange 5.5 server. (bosses were afraid of not getting something important). In any event, we have now started having problems with delivery to certain domains from our 2k server. They eventually come back with an ndr 5.5.0, status 4.4.7

From reading this forum plus a knowledge base article I think I might have a dns issue.

even though our old domain northstar.csiu.k12.pa.us resolves to the new ip, when I look at the headers of an email I sent from our new address mail.csiu.org to one of my personal ones, I still see

Received: from northstar.csiu.k12.pa.us (HELO mailserver.mail.csiu.org) ([204.186.159.22])

in part of it. Will this cause me problems with some other email servers where they are doing the reverse dns lookup?

if so, is there a setting I need to change in our exchage 2k server, or is there something else I need to have my isp do. I kinda think it's me.

on a possibly related note we are also having problems sending to yahoo. We get an ndr that complains about "cannot accept stray newlines"

any help would be great.

thanks

if remote servers do reverse lookups and yours is false they will bounce the mail, I see this all the time. if you can contact the admin of the remote domain you can have him add a dns record for your site. 01110000

thanks. I'll look into that. I thought that might be the problem.

hi norryguy, any update on what was the issue? just curious
thanks

no resolution yet, but I was able to find out that a nslook for our northstar.csiu.k12.pa.us address pointed to the correct ip but a reverse on our current mailserver ip yielded our northstar domain instead of our current one.

I've placed a call into our isp yesterday and pointed it out to them and they are in the process of fixing it. They said they would let me know when it was done. I've not heard from them yet. I am hopeful that once it is fixed this will resolve me issue.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back