Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting users recycle bin 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnWilson

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
GB
I need to enforce a way of deleting a users recycle bin when the user logs off

Users 'My Documents' are stored on a remote server and there profile is stored locally

Ideas would be great

TIA.....

I could only find one way, but this nukes the files when they get to the recycle bin. It's like prementantly deleting files upon arrival in the recyle bin. It might not be what you want. Just add this to the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket]
"NukeOnDelete"=dword:00000001

Otherwise, their may be third party tools.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

I'll look into that 1 but until then does anyone know of a group policy that could do this??

Well, that kind of defeats the purpose to having a recycle bin, doesn't it? I mean, sometimes we delete something on accident and recover it later.

I suppose you have your reasons, but I just think that this introduces more risk than it does benefit.

*boggled* [dazed]

Cheers!

It's on a schools network

The kids have started to store there Peer2Peer software in the recycle bin so when they log off & log back on it's still there

We search there 'My Documents' that's why they store it in the recycle bin

I don't want to get rid of the recycle bin, just clean it out every log off

Make sense??

I don't recall seeing a policy for that.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Hmm, yes, I see what you are getting at.

Perhaps forbid software installation on the PC's without administrator access?

Better yet, block the ports in and out that those p2p softwares use and it won't matter if they have the software, it won't go anywhere. All those applications have ports and protocols they use specific to the program.

Just a thought...

Good luck!

We use websense on the network and even if you block the port p2p programs try other ports

We have blocked the file name from running

The users have rights to install only in there 'My Documnets' and no where else

Find out the protocol used and block the protocol from accessing ANY ports.

Cheers!

Because of the size and use of the network we can't block any ports

Thanx for all the reply's

I didn't say block the port, I said block the PROTOCOL (which will prevent the program from working on any PORT without you having to actually block a port).

The protocols are usually proprietary to the p2p program.

Something to look into.

Sorry I miss read it, it's been a long day

I will look into it

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back