Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

deleting temp folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have Windows ME, and while browsing through my folders I noticed a TEMP folder taking up 1.6 gig. Most of the things inside mean nothing to me, however I noticed some files were things I had downloaded and deleted a long time ago. There are also allot of other folders inside the TEMP folder with even more files in them.

Anyway here is my question. Is ot O.K to delete all these files inside the TEMP folder and if so will I run into and problems further down the track?

Just one more thing, sometimes when I shut down I get a blue screen that says Windows protection error, shutdown halted. Anyone know what this means or why it occurs?

whew.....thats enough from me and thanx in advance.

if the TEMP folder your talking about is in C:\Windows\TEMP like that, then its OK to delete the contents of the folder but don't delete the folder itself. Its also OK to delete the folders inside the TEMP folder.

Before you do this, maybe wait for a second opinion OK?

You can delete the C:\windows\temp folder AS LONG AS YOU RECREATE IT! Try it, wont hurt anything as long as you recreate it.

Hope this helps.

It would be alright to delete everything in your temp folder, because everything that ends up in that folder is useless and takes up alot of memory in doing so. So I would recommend that you delete everything in it. Well hopefully this is what you was wanting to know.

Boot to the MSDOS prompt before you start deleting the contents of the temp folder. Windows will probably abort an attempt to delete the folder contents from Explorer, since some of the files will be in use by the system.

BTW: after deleting 1.6 gigs of files, conventional wisdom would suggest that you defrag the drive at the first opportunity.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com​

Probably better to deltree the directory and recreate it before the defrag. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Good point, Ed. Much quicker that way and it avoids the problem of dealing with individual sub-folders.

The only thing cleaner and faster would be the 4DOS internal command: DEL /QSXYZ *.*

I keep forgetting that I am the last man on Earth who uses 4DOS on a daily basis. (The added functionality often obscures the content of my advice: "What do you mean by 'that command gives me an error'? It works fine on my computer!) :)
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com​

Do not delete the temp folder. It is part of the Windows operating system and is there for a reason. You can delete
files with extension .tmp, but only delete files that are older than current date. I would not go into DOS and delete
any files that are part of the operating system unless you
have a specific reason.
If you are getting a lot of .tmp files left in your temp folder, then it may be due to your Windows Protection Error.
Everytime your system abnormally shuts down, Windows throws
data into these .tmp files. I would check your operating system for corrupt files or Registry entries. I don't use ME, but do a Help find for a utility to repair the operating system. If you like, send me an email, I will try to find out what tools in ME you can use.

Hope this helps.
Lisa Merchant
L&M Computer Services

Actually you can delete the temp folder AS LONG AS YOU REMAKE IT! Your system will not crash. You can do it from a msdos promt (Not in Windows) by typing:
cd windows
deltree temp
mkdir temp

then reboot. Or you can boot into safe mode and use the Windows Explorewr and just delete the temp folder and then make a new one. OR you can just open it and delete all contents. All very good ways.

Im still not clear as to whether its c:\windows\temp or temp internet files. As the former seems to be taken care of, just to cover all bases, here is for the latter. Tools>properties>settings>view files>edit>select all>file>delete.

Have you looked at your OS Tools for a utility such as Disk Cleanup? It may be that this will delete the unnecessary files. Check out your HELP to see what tool(s) you have available. It depends on the version of your OS.

HOPE THIS HELPS Sometimes we just don't know what we don't know

rmccallon1 is correct. (Why we did not think of that? Who knows) Just run the disk cleanup utility.

Thats what happens when we overanylize ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back