Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting partition and getting space back onto other partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoldyr

Technical User
Mar 19, 2001
US
I somehow deleted all the files in my linux partition, so now it is empty, and I want to delete that partition and add the space back to my C drive. How can I do this? Every time I try it in Partition Magic I get some weird error. I went to their site to see what the error meant and I tried what they said and that didn't work. Please help!

Hey Smoldyr

I have used PM to do this kind of thing under Linux os but
in your case, i would advice you to use the fdisk tool.

Normally it is recommended to backup your data before doing such difficult operation. For sure you already know that.

So...

On the command line, type : fdisk /dev/<partition> (either hda, hdb, hdc, ...)

Type m to get the list of options allowed.

--
Worthy

How do I know which partition is my Linux partition? I can't get into Linux at all, all the files have been deleted.

You need to know where your linux partition is. Is it the fist partition on your hard drive or the second.

In both cases, the deletion of your linux partition can be done with MSDOS fdisk.

But in the first case, i don't know whether it is possible to add these disk space back to C drive which I presume is W'doz os. Maybe PM can do that. I have never tried. Sorry.

In the other case, after deleting it with msdos fdisk you can try to use PMagic extend your W'doz os easily.

--
Worthy

So if I originally had Windows, which I did, and then installed Linux, which I did, then linux would be hdb?

Not exactly.

hda : first hard drive on the first disk controller
hdb : second hard drive on the first disk controller
hdc : first hard drive on the second disk controller
hdd : second hard drive on the second disk controller

... and so on

If the first partition on your disk contains win os, then you can (as told previously) delete the linux partition with fdisk without any problem and finally use PM to extend your fat partition (win os).

--
Worthy

So how do I know which is my Linux partition?

Using msdos fdisk, the linux partition has an &quot;unknown type&quot; when you select 3 to delete partitions. It is the only one you should see and then delete.

--
Worthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back