Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting orphaned Domain Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lck092580

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
CA
Hi,

Would anyone know how I can delete domain controllers that haven't been demoted but physically gone? I tried deleted it in AD sites and services only to get the msg:

"The dsa object cannot be deleted".

I looked up an article @ microsoft but unsure of a step:

"Start the Sites and Servers snap-in in Microsoft Management Console (MMC), and then connect to the Flexible Single Master Operation (FSMO) role holder."

I'm unsure of the "and then connect to the Flexible Single Master Operation (FSMO) role holder".

Here's the link:

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to rid of the orphaned DCs? Thanks.

T

Just went through this process a couple of weeks ago, and it worked like a charm.

See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 216498, HOW TO: Remove Data in Active Directory After an Unsuccessful Domain Controller Demotion

Good luck!

Try this.It did work for me.

Use Start / Run / ADSIEdit.msc / OK.
Expand Domain NC, expand dc=domain,dc=com, and expand ou=domain controllers.
Right-click the computer name of the domain controller, and then press Properties.
On the Attributes tab, select Both in the Select which properties to view box.
In the Select a property to view box, select UserAccountControl.
Under Attribute Value, view the value.
Type 4096 in the Edit Attribute box.
Press the Set button.
Press Apply and OK. Exit ADSI Edit.

If I remember right, it's because it has a child object; the ntds settings for that server.

Just did this last week and an MS tech buddy I know sent me 2 VB scripts that did the job - If you remove a DC from a domain and that domain is no longer valid then these 2 files will do the trick. I

email me @ joe@everynetwork.com and I'll send them to you

Cheers.
craKuhJAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back