Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting Multiple Roaming Profiles on Local Workstations from Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

Is there any way to quickly remove old unused roaming profiles on a Win2000 Workstation from a Win2000 Server.

I have 120 Win2000 Workstations networked to a Win2000 Server, which is the PDC and 1300 different users. (3 Computer Labs) The problem is when a user leaves, I have to go to every Workstation, login as Administrator, Right click on my Computer, Properties, User Profiles, then delete each user one by one. (You are unable to hold down Ctrl and select a list of users, so it takes forever.)

I presumed this would be possible from my Server, so I tried out the Computer Managment Console, and Right Clicking on the Computer Managment icon in the Console when connected to a specific Workstation, does not include User Profiles.

Is this possible with the a Group Policy Edit in the Active Directory, or do I have to use a script ?

Sorting this out will save a lot of time.

Oh yes, roaming profiles with multiple users uses a lot of Hard Drive space on the Workstations.

Kind Regards
Sean

Hi,

If you have Roaming Profiles, you can configure your Group policy to delete Roaming profiles on logging off, should you use Policies, it can be configured there.

Also, it can be configured to exclude directories such as Temp. Internet Files and others!

Does this help you?

Cheers,
Ogi

Hi Ogi,

I had already enabled this policy under Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Logon, Delete Cached Copies of Roaming Profiles.

The stange this is every other policy works except for this one. I checked User Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Logon/Logoff and the Delete Cached Copies of Roaming Profiles is not their. I did however find the Exclude directories in a roaming profile policy.

Thanks for your help.

Cheerio
Sean

You need to create an OU for the computers, add all of the client computers to that OU and apply the group policy to that OU. The policy will work like a charm after that. The only catch is that you will still need to delete the local copies of the profiles 1 more time... This policy only prevents new copies from being saved, it won't remove the ones that are already there.. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back