Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting IE History

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreFeo

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
ES
Hi, I'd like to know if there's a way to delete IE History from command line, using rundll32 or something similar.
I'm making a .bat file that clears Temporary files (IE files, Cookies, profile Temp files and Recently opened documents) and I'd like to erase also the IE History. It's IE6 with Win XP.

Thanks.

You might have to change where your temp files are at. Just check to make sure the right info is in there.

rem @echo off
rem ************************RUN using Domain User Profile Only*************************
rem Delete all temp files from User's c:\temp and c:\windows\temp folders by
rem test Started test ended:
rem last edited

if exist c:\Temp\*.* goto ERASE
if exist c:\Windows\Temp\*.* goto ERASE

:ERASE
rmdir /q /s c:\Temp
rmdir /q /s c:\Windows\Temp goto CREATE

:CREATE
mkdir c:\Windows\Temp

(rmdir /q /s c:\Temp & rmdir /q /s c:\Windows\Temp & mkdir c:\Windows\Temp) >> c:\deltemp.log

:END

cd\
cd C:\Documents and Settings\$username$\Local Settings\
del /Q Temporary Internet Files
echo Deleting Files
echo File Deleted
mkdir Temporary Internet Files
exit

maybe try this one too. It's hard for me to write these because I dont have IE6. Everything is stored in one folder for IE7. I remember trying to write a file like this a couple years ago. It didnt like when you did it, so you would have to delete the entire folder and then recreate it. good luck

I've already got the script that deletes Temporary files. What I'd need is to delete IE History. If I go thru graphical windows to %HOMEPATH%\Local Settings there's a folder named History, with a kind of folder for each day's History, but if I go thru command line these folders aren't there, so I'd like to know where there are to delete them thru command line, or if it's possible to delete IEHistory with rundll32.

Thanks

If your happy to use a free 3rd party tool you could look at which is run from the command line.

if you go to %HOMEPATH%\Local Settings in command prompt and type the following without the quotes you should see the folders - "dir /a"

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back