Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting hundreds of thousands of files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlong07

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
US
Hello,

I have Win 2003 Server. I have recently run into a major problem with server slow down. I am trying to troubleshoot this and I found that a folder on the server has around 800,000 temp files in it. I have tried deleting these files, but the server just locks up when I try. How can I purge this directory without the operating system having to delete each file individually so that it won't lock up.

How are you deleting the files? Just selecting delete add them to the recycle bin.
Try temporarily disabling any antivirus software then shift&delete within the GUI.

I have tried deleting them with the command prompt. I have tried doing it with shift-delete in windows. I have tried deleting portions of it. The problem I am running into is that all of the delete commands I know delete each file individually. When you are dealing with 800,000 files and over 2 GB of stuff it takes a while to do and the OS locks up before it is done.

Try using Disk Cleanup in Accessories>System Tools.

Spool

A small amount of help is better than none at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back