Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

deleting hidden network adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcjunky

Technical User
Jun 29, 2004
US
Sorry if this post is in the wrong location. Anyway.. Im having trouble with my wireless network. This is more of a windows problem.
Let me tell you the story. I have the netgear MA101 usb wireless adapter. I installed and configured the wireless network etc. Everything worked great. Untill I turn off the computer. When I turn on the computer, It then looses all the settings plus fails to see the usb wireless adapter. So i have to reinstall the adapter and configure the settings again. The weird thing is that when Windows opens the connection, it creates a whole new connection instead of using the wireless connection it used previously. So now after a few reboots. I then notice that its on wireless connection #8. Durrr?

Then today. The usb wireless adapter falls off my desk and breaks. Ok. So i buy a new adapter this one from Dlink. I install it and works beautifully. Now windows makes another "local Area connection" this time #9. My question is now, how do i delete the other 8 local area connections that are hidden from the computer. Windows hides the connection if it doesn't see the adapter. So its not like i can see it when I open My network places. On top of that is I cant delete the drivers that the previous adapter used. If the adapter isn't connected you wont beable to see it in device manager. I know where the drivers are located but windows wont let me delete the file because, windows thinks the driver is still being used. Any ideas?

device manager/view/"show hidden devices" (translated from german)
check autostart if the old driver/config utility gets loaded

Lemon13, Had a feeling thats what you are going to say. After clicking show hidden devices it doesn't list the old adapter i had installed. Wish i could delete it/ unistall it.

if the number is your problem then just rename the connection to #1!

Mr. Junky,

Perhaps you should try the following. If you were to go into "Network and Dial up Connections" open your new connection, #9 and UNINSTALL TCP/IP, then delete your connection number nine and restart. When your computer comes up, it should automatically request that you re-install TCP/IP. If not, go to Local Area Connections then click on Properties and install TCP/IP. Let me know if this helps.

Xavier

----------------------------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning."
Rick Cook

Allright.. I figured out how to get rid of the hidden connections. But, now how should i unstall the old adapter and its drivers? As said in top post. Should i boot up in safe mode? or is their an easier way?

Please post how you were able to delete the hidden connections for us other users... [bigsmile]

Xavier

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning."
Rick Cook

See also:

"The reason that uninstalling the device fails is that the device is marked in the registry as not being user removable.
You can find the relevent registry key by searching the registry for the string "Packet Scheduler Miniport". The key should be under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet. The "not user removable" attribute is stored in the Characteristics bitfield of the device's registry key.
The "not user removable" bit is 0x20 and clearing that bit allows the device to be removed through Device Manager. In my case, the Characteristics value was 0x00000029 and I changed it to 0x00000009"

taken out of the:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back