Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

deleting files

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigragu

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
US
I have a PNG graphic file that just won't be deleted. I've tryed dragging it to the recycling bin, cutting it, etc. But the error message continually says: "Cannot delete [filename] Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currectly in use." Thanks in advance!

How about trying it by going into DOS on bootup. Most will delete from that level.
But you may want to reflect on why the OS won't let you delete it from windows. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

99% of the time you get that message when a file is in us, as edfair, said think before you delete, might be something you’ll need down the road. "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

You should also be able to delete it in safe mode, but as the others above mentioned...it may be required by a running application (maybe in background or on systray).

If you decide to use safe mode; simply rename it and test ALL apps to see what happens BEFORE you change the read-only attrib and delete it.

Good Luck,
--MiggyD

Agree with everything posted above... If, however, you insist on erasing that file, maybe it has an attribute set, which needs to be removed. At DOS type ATTRIB -r -h -s FRED.PNG and hopefully it will go away.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back