Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DELETING COLORS FROM THE COLORS WINDOWS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

designbr

Technical User
Mar 29, 2005
US
Hi, I would like to know what I have to do to delete the colors I am not using. I select the option to delete the ones that are not being used and it doesn't delete some that I think are not there. How can I find the objects that are using these colors delete them and the colors? Why when I try to print the color separations it doesn't print??

Are you using CMYK, RGB or spot colours or a mix?

>> Why when I try to print the color separations it doesn't print??<<

From this statement, does this mean you are working in CMYK only? What colours are not deleting? Have you tried clicking on the colour and dragging it to the trash bin at the bottom of the Colors palette? If so, what is the message? Does it ask if you want to convert it to black?

When you go to the print menu, and look under the colour tab, what inks are showing up? Checking on every one and then printing the separations (if you have only a B&W printer, they will print as blacks), but at least it will show you on each page where a specific ink colour is being used - the only way I know how to ascertain where each colour in a publication is being used.

I usuallu use a mix of spot and CMYK. I've tried already deleting and a message:"ERROR DELETING COLORS CANNOT DELETE A REFERENCED EPS COLOR" appears. I, by mistake, placed my eps file and pressed yes to accept the specifications of the EPS file. I deleted the file placed in a right way but cannot delete the color I've placed before.

I can't understand why I don't have the options you told for the colors, I mean, which page they appear and printing colors separations is driving me crazy because I don't know what I am doing but I cannot print color separations at all.

And another problem I am having now. For some reason, I cannot print my document in any printer. I thought was the Pagemaker problem but it's printing other documents.

It will help me a lot to finally see my work printed and understand how this colors work and how they can be deleted.

I usuallu use a mix of spot and CMYK. I've tried already deleting and a message:"ERROR DELETING COLORS CANNOT DELETE A REFERENCED EPS COLOR" appears. I, by mistake, placed my eps file and pressed yes to accept the specifications of the EPS file. I deleted the file placed in a right way but cannot delete the color I've placed before.

I can't understand why I don't have the options you told for the colors, I mean, which page they appear and printing colors separations is driving me crazy because I don't know what I am doing but I cannot print color separations at all.

And another problem I am having now. For some reason, I cannot print my document in any printer. I thought was the Pagemaker problem but it's printing other documents.

It will help me a lot to finally see my work printed and understand how this colors work and how they can be deleted.

I forgot to tell I have Pagemaker 7.00, Photoshop 7.0 and Illustrator 10.0

>>I've tried already deleting and a message:"ERROR DELETING COLORS CANNOT DELETE A REFERENCED EPS COLOR" appears. I, by mistake, placed my eps file and pressed yes to accept the specifications of the EPS file. I deleted the file placed in a right way but cannot delete the color I've placed before.<<

I suggest you save the problem PM file with a new name. If you have deleted the EPS graphic that brought in a colour you cannot now delete, there is still a 'memory' in the PM file of that colour. So - save to a new name (or even overwrite the old name) and this will purge the memory of that EPS colour. Don't continue using 'save as'.

>>I can't understand why I don't have the options you told for the colors, I mean, which page they appear and printing colors separations is driving me crazy because I don't know what I am doing but I cannot print color separations at all.<<

Go to File>Print. On the right side there is a column of buttons marked 'Document', 'Setup', 'Options', 'Color' and 'Features'. Click on the 'Color' button. Half way down on the new dialog box there is a button marked 'Separations'. Click on it. This will activate the list of colours (in the Colors palette in your document) in the dialog box. You may need to scroll down the list to see all the colours. Click on each colour you wish to print the separation of, and then click the 'Print this ink' box. OR you can just click on the button to the right 'Print all inks' if you wish to print the separations of each.

If you click on the 'remove unused inks' and nothing is removed, it means that somewhere in your PM file that colour is being used. Do you have a colour called 'Auto' in the list of colours in the palette? This colour is introduced if you import text straight from Word or the internet. Click on it and drag it to the trash can and you will be asked something like 'do you want to change all items with this colour to black?' - say Yes.

You should then be able to print separations - even on a B&W printer, showing you where each colour in the colour palette (or for those inks you have chosen to print the seps of) occur in your document.

Final questions - are you on a PC or Mac? What sort of printers are you trying to print to?

Hi, I will try to do what you told me right now. I am working on a PC and the printers I was trying to print were EPSON CX4600 and CANON 950.

Whoops!!

>>Don't continue using 'save as'.<<

I meant to say "Don't continue using 'save'". Although using the 'save' function is a very good habit, every five or so 'saves' you should use a 'save as' (over the existing file name) as this purges the 'memory' in the file (which unfortunately you cannot access i.e. there is no long list of 'undo' finctions). It also helps reduce file size.

Whoops!! I forgot to answer this one. I tryed but I can't delete the EPS colors.

That is correct - you cannot delete colours that have come into PM via EPS graphics.

I don't undestand why you are using spot colours in a document that will be printed on desktop printers (EPSON CX4600 and CANON 950). These sort of printers cannot print spot colours - they can only print the nearest CMYK equivalent. However, only around 50% of spot colours have a CMYK equivalent, so you sometimes get nasty surprises with spot colours printed in CMYK.

You must convert the spot colours in the EPS graphics to CMYK in the program which created them (Illustrator?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back