Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting Access records by query when join is involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinsHandle

Programmer
Jan 14, 2012
US
I am having a brain freeze the Morning. I've done this type of query many times but it's not coming to me today.

I believe that Access is barking at the join in the qry.

I want to delete records from tblClaimsData when the tblClaimsData.ServiceDate is not Between the tblVendorStatus.EffDate and tblVendorStatus.TermDate or tblClaimsData.VendorID Is Null.

I have a vague recollection of using a sub query to select the joined records that are to be deleted with an "In Select yad a yada"

Any help appreciated.

Kevin

Kevin said:
I believe that Access is barking at the join in the qry.
Please post back the SQL of the query...

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Here it is:

DELETE DISTINCTROW tblClaimsData.* FROM tblClaimsData LEFT Join tblVendorStatus ON tblClaimsData.Vendor_ID = tblVendorStatus.VendorNo
WHERE (((tblClaimsData.Service_Date Not BETWEEN tblVendorStatus.EffectiveDate AND tblVendorStatus.TermDate)) OR(((tblClaimsData.Vendor_ID) IS NULL();

The goal here is to remove claims when the date of service for the claimed procedure falls outside the contract term of the vendor.

Thx for any help

Kevin

What about this ?
DELETE tblClaimsData.*
FROM tblClaimsData INNER Join tblVendorStatus ON tblClaimsData.Vendor_ID = tblVendorStatus.VendorNo
WHERE (tblClaimsData.Service_Date Not BETWEEN tblVendorStatus.EffectiveDate AND tblVendorStatus.TermDate)
OR tblClaimsData.Vendor_ID IS NULL

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks for answering but that gets the same error. I am pretty sure that the structure required in the query is of the nature of :
DELETE tblName.* FROM tblName WHERE FieldX IN(SELECT ..... (with joins etc in here)

My problem is I forget the syntax.

Thx

Kevin

that gets the same error
Which error ?
Anyway, what about this ?
SQL:
DELETE *  FROM tblClaimsData
WHERE Vendor_ID IS NULL OR Vendor_ID IN (
SELECT VendorNo FROM tblVendorStatus WHERE tblClaimsData.Vendor_ID = tblVendorStatus.VendorNo
AND NOT (tblClaimsData.Service_Date BETWEEN tblVendorStatus.EffectiveDate AND tblVendorStatus.TermDate)
)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Error is "Could not delete from specified table.

I your version is generally it.

Thx much.

The fog is lifting.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back