Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting a Line if it is not present in an address label

Status
Not open for further replies.

virgo

Programmer
Jun 21, 1999
US
I also need to be able to delete just an address line if it is not present.

When I try to do this, it deletes the entire address. I can't just delete a line.

You mean, that if your address doesn't contain a line for "Address 2" of there is no "State" or "City" you don't want to display that empty line?
Can you provide a little more details?

Yes,

There was an original 'label' written that would deal with all of the problems in the report. This does not work now.

So, what I am doing is just setting up the membership cards. They read fine when there is an address1, address2, and an address3.

I have not as yet 'ditched' that label on the original report.

I am now working on those cards that only have an address1 and address2.

There is a blank line left.

When I try to delete address3, everything is deleted.

I select address3, and...

If I try and send address 3 to the back, behind address2, everything is deleted.

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated. Trying to deal with a program that someone else has set up (and the author is not present) is not nice.

virgo,

Why don't you create a new section for each address line. Then if the line is blank you can suppress the line.

Dwight

The easy way to deal with this:
Let's say, your address lines are placed into the page header.
Create as many additional sections below the main one(Page Header A, Page Header B and so on) as you need for your address lines.
Place each address line into a separate section(Address 1 -
into Page Header A, Address 2 - Page Header B...).
Format your Address fields to suppress them if this field is empty.
Format your sections to suppress blank section.
This should do it.

This is a duplexed membership card.

On the same side of legal sized card stock is the address and the actual membership card.

So, sort of like this

address
name picture
add1 name
add2 member of
add3 date of expiration
city,state,zip
country

The picture part works. If I set up sections, and this does work, thank you, this goes all the way across the page.

I need to be able to keep the 'picture' part of it.

Then on the address, there is one group that has add1, add2, and add3. This works.

Another group just has add1 and add2. There is one blank line left.

The third group only has add1.

I really appreciate your help.

Well, you need to get rid of those additional sections the and create formulas for each line.
In those formulas you'll need to check what line of address exists and display info based on that.
Since it's a lot to write...
I have a report which is doing exactly the same.
If you post your e-mail, I can send you that sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back