Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting a folder that no one has permissions to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lck092580

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
CA
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how I can delete a folder that I had accidently removed the "Full Control" permissions from everyone even the administrator?

What I mean is that I have this folder called test that I wanted only the administrator to be able to access. So what I did was delete the "Everyone" and added administrator. However, I have accidently only checked the "Read" box for admin and now I can't delete or change the permissions to that folder. Any ideas?

Thanks.

T

You'll need to take control of it first, then you can delete it. Properties/Security/Advanced/Owner

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

If you have Administrator rights, you just need to take ownership of the folder and re-assign the permissions and then delete it. One of the "special" abilities of administrator is that you can take ownership of an object no matter who owns it.

Scott

Hello Guys I have a slight different problem, I think My server has been hacked, I have founf several folders above root folder which I did not create, I am not able to delete them, If I propertise them I get sharing option, not security option to take over, and one folder If I touch it the program stop responding, any ideas? I dont want to reinstall as I have lots to rebuild.

Is there a known varius for this?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks a million

Joe

name of folders are aux, aux0, aux5, actually I have two folders with same name aux, also lpt1, ~=======~, some of them just numbers, and it look like is a message, ~temp,

by==speedy====, and another 5 foulders with no names, but it look like the names are space, like 1 space, then 2 then 3 and so on

Thanks again

Odd indeed. They don't sound like temp or update files made by the Server. I would boot into safe mode and try to take ownership of them if the Administrator doesn't have it. Then delete them. Look inside of each first and get the names of some of he files. Go to metacrawler and do a search on it to see what it is associated with.

I know a lot of virus's write really stupid files and folders in sequence such as A1kk2, A1kk3, A1kk4, etc.

AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back