Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting a File (yes it sounds simple, but.......) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

afiorentino

Technical User
Jul 19, 2003
US
I can't seem to delete a file (Show[1]). When I try it states "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk"

Background: I needed to use a program (R Studio NTFS) to recover data on a hard drive that I put a partition on accidently. This file is from the recovery process. After reviewing all the recovery information I have been able to save what I needed and delete the unneccessary files accept this one.

I can not move the file, when I try cut and paste I get "Cannot move Show[1]: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name. I

Maybe the file has already been deleted. Try rebooting the machine and see if it still shows up.

Is the file on a FAT32 partition? Coz if you transferred something off NTFS (with that R Studio NTFS app) onto a FAT32 partition (that unlike NTFS doesn't support unicode file names) part of the filename might be in Chinese or whatever other non-ANSI code (that probably isn't even visible to you) and is stored in the FAT as such but unrecognisable to Windows which only wants to deal with ANSI. If this is the case, kill it off in DOS, using wildcards (*.*) or TAB filename completion so you don't have to try type some funny ASCII character.

Regards,
kLy

Any help here?

thread779-566226
thread779-446185
thread779-434764

Thanks KLy that did the the trick. I was able to get rid or it at the command prompt. Should have thought of that myself, sometimes I get so caught up in windows I forget about old reliable DOS. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back