Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting a database

Status
Not open for further replies.

cer5yc

Programmer
Sep 27, 2007
US
I have a database that is stored on a shared drive. I don't want anyone to be able to delete the database. Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

Talk to your network people and have them assign limited rights to your users.

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Well that's what I figured the answer would be - but it sure wasn't the answer I was looking for :)

Thing is, because to the operating system, an Access database is just a file on disk, it can be got to with any of the usual file access tools.

Cer5yc's answer is the only way to doing it, unless you want to move your application code to a locked down server and data into a server side database engine.

John

I have been agonizing about the same problem. Our IT manager says to give the user read only access. However, the user will not be able to delete. add or update records. So there is no way to prevent someone from deleteing your database.
"sad

What's really sad is that an "IT manager" doesn't understand that the "users" of a database can't "use" the database if they can't add/edit/delete data!

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Could you not put the data in SQL Server Express or MySQL, then link the tables through from Access with an account that has appropriate rights to do the data manipulation.

You then have a read only front end, but permissions to be able to manipulate data on the back end store.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back