Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleted users in AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blogg

Technical User
Jul 23, 2001
GB
Hi,
How can I recover these users I have deleted? there are 3 in all, we have two dcs here which replicate with other countries.
thanks
Blogg

Did you make a backup of your user base before you deleted them? If so and you restore that backup any users you created after that backup will have to be recreated. It may be easier since it is only 3 users to create them from scratch again.

I've no backup, am I in trouble? i might just recreate the accounts, reassign newly created users aacounts to the relevant group membership...

thanks

Yea, your in trouble. But just a little.

Without a backup you can't restore the existing users. Add that to lessons learned and start to back things up.

Recreate your users and set them up as before. The real pain in the neck that you will need to deal with is the user files. File ownership goes by user SID not by Username. So, you will need to reassign ownership and rights to each of your 3 users files to give them access to their own data again. Hopefully they won't have too much and will actually know where their own stuff is.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I'm gonna do this today, thanks for your input

Blogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back