Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleted user group Urgent HELP needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakess

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
ZA
I have have deleted a AD user group which has rights to a share which contain 15 folders with 140 GB of data. All those users have lost access now. I have created a new group and have applied the permission but its going to take a very long time to apply the permissions to all subfolders.
Is there any other way how i can recover the group and have the permissions back as it was without re applying the permissions.

Restart in AD restore mode [F8]
Restore system state - using backup
Do not reboot after restore
Start | Run | cmd
type ntdsutil.exe authoritive restore
authoritative restore: restore subtree "cn=Web Administrator,ou=ITG,dc=nwtraders,dc=msft"
Restart the computer into normal mode

In this example the group Web Administrator would be restored.

Replace with the details for your group and domain

And that will restore the group and the appropriate permissions on network shares as it was before?
My problem is i cannot take the servers offline during working hours so restore would have to take place after working hours.
Our GC and BC is also application/file servers.
I thought there was a online restore method.

try using ADRestore from SysInternals. Read the associated MS KB Introduction

Server 2003 introduces the ability to restore deleted ("tombstoned") objects. This simple command-line utility enumerates the deleted objects in a domain and gives you the option of restoring each one. Source code, which is included, is based on sample code in the Microsoft Platform SDK. This MS KB article describes the use of Adrestore:

840001: How to restore deleted user accounts and their group memberships in Active Directory

Hope this helps

If you have a system state backup and you can take the server down then use the Microsoft recommended method.
This should restore your group as it was.

>And that will restore the group and the appropriate permissions on network shares as it was before?

If you look at the security of the NTFS folder in question you should see what was the user group represented as a SID. If so then restoring the group as described above will restore users access to the folder.

s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back