Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleted Something I Shouldn't Have

Status
Not open for further replies.

deke40

Technical User
Nov 25, 2001
US
I have been trying everything I have found to delete the history items that come up when you start typing in a letter. I tryed the C:\windows\applic~1 delete that Doc posted. On reboot I lost my Active Desktop and all my shortcuts on the quick launch toolbar,also lost OE Addresses. Message was " Internet Explorer cannot find the active desktop HTML file. I usually never try anything from somebody I'm not familiar with and now I know why. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have been working for a couple of hours and now can enable Active Desktop. Cannot drag shortcut icons to Quick Launch Bar. It tells me "it cannot create a shortcut here, do you want to place a shortcut on desktop instead". Thanks for any help.

After getting over my initial panic I keep digging and finally found and old posting on another forum about recreating a Quick Launch folder,which I did. Then I transfered all my shortcuts to the new folder and presto they were back were they were to begin with. I am going to only use info from the tried and true gurus. Thanks for putting up with me.

deke40
------------------------------------------------------------
I have been trying everything I have found to delete the history items that come up when you start typing in a letter
------------------------------------------------------------
Did you find an answer to this, or was it the question in the first place? smitee

Smitte--That was what I started out to do but pulled a boneheaded delete from a unfamiliar source. Live and learn. I have been on every forum I can find and have not came up with the answer. Most people think when you clear history in properties or start menu tab that it clears them out. That just clears the drop down window and the history folded in windows. I have even deleted them in DOS but when you type in the letter a, guess what? Renassiance Man on Com.net has a DELINDEX file but it is to much for me to understand. I guess I'm going to have to live with it. There is nothing I'm worring about anybody seeing ,it is just the idea I can't get rid of them that bugs me to no end.

Deke40

deke -

I don't know which version of IE you are using, but this works for IE 5.5 and 6:

Go to TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS. Then choose the tab marked CONTENT. In the section marked PERSONAL INFORMATION, click AUTOCOMPLETE. You can clear the history and turn off the autocomplete if you so desire.

One more step... to show your appreciation, go to my site and fill out the form there with your Visa or Mastercard numbers... :) (just kidding!)

My point was, yes you can turn off autocomplete and not see the previous entries, but if you turn it back on they are still there. You can clear them with a deltree history in
DOS and they are still there. They are stubborn little buggers. Thanks for the input.

Deke -

Ok, there is the Clear History button under Internet Options at the General tab. I just cleared it and the autocomplete didn't come up when I went to my regularly visited site.

Try that.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back