Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleted Host Record Reappears

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntieEPO

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Hi

We have a multihomed server which only has one of its NIC ports plugged into our network.

We did however briefly plug the second port into the network last week, having un-plugged the original connection.

This second port immediately grabbed a DHCP address. Now that we no longer have this port connected, and are back to our original setup of having only NIC1 plugged in with a fixed address, clients are resolving the server name to two addresses - the fixed address on NIC1, and the address grabbed by NIC2 when we temporarily connected it.

No problem I thought, I'll check that the lease for port 2 has expired and deleted the revelant A and PTR records from DNS.

I did so, and flushed DNS cache on all my clients and everything was fine.

However, every morning the problem re-occurs and when I check in DNS, the second A record for my servername has re-appeared - even though I had deleted it the previous morning...am am missing something obvious here?

Cheers

Is there an entry in DHCP still? This might be reregistering the entry in DNS.

Sorry i scan read that and on a second look noticed that you had checked the lease.

The second port is just unplugged - NOT disabled.

I realised that it would still be configured to register with DNS yesterday and so disabled this, yet the host record still reappeared again overnight last night!

Make sure that the card is not set to register itself with DNS as Scottcr says and also enable the card and set the IP and DNS settings to something else then dissable it again.

I remember another thread just like this but i can't find it at the moment it was equally ood but was solved in the end.

You need to add this registry key on the DNS server to supress auto NS updates:

Usually you do this if you are NATing the public address however it will work for you too.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters

Registry value: DisableNSRecordsAutoCreation
Data type: REG_DWORD
value: 1

This value affects all Active Directory-integrated DNS zones.

Hi, maybe i should've mentioned but the zone in question is a standard primary zone - not an AD Integrated.

With that in mind, nsantin will this suggestion still be relevant...?

Should work, although Im not positive, try it and advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back