Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete Trigger Error Msg not displaying in Access F/E

Status
Not open for further replies.

PurpleUnicorn

Programmer
Mar 16, 2001
US
I have an Access database(B/E) that I am in the process of migrating to SQL Server. I currently have sample data in SQL Server and I am testing my Access F/E.

I have a delete trigger that is firing correctly - however, I am not getting the error message from my Access F/E.

Here is my trigger:
ALTER Trigger [CUSTOMERdelete] on [dbo].[CUSTOMER]
for delete
as
BEGIN
declare
@errorNumber int,
@errorMsg varchar(255)

if exists(
select * from deleted, ORDERS where ORDERS.CUSTOMER_ID = deleted.CUSTOMER_ID)
begin
select @errorNumber = 30004,
@errorMsg = 'Cannot delete from CUSTOMER because ORDERS exists.'
goto errorHandler
end

return
errorHandler:
raiserror @errorNumber @errorMsg
rollback transaction
END
GO

Your raiserror command isn't correct.
Code:
errorHandler:
   raiserror (@errorMsg, 16, 1)
   rollback transaction
END
You can only assign an error number if that error number exists in the sysmessages (or sys.messages if SQL 2005) table.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thanks for the reply Denny -

I changed my errorhandler - I am still only getting the Access generated error (2501) - not the error message defined in the trigger.
If I attempt to delete the record from the linked table - I get the correct message (from the trigger). When I attempt to delete the record from my customer form - I get the Access error message.

Check in the access forums. I'm not sure how to display SQL errors in Access. They may be able to provide more info.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back