Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete query with linked excel and access table

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyG23

Programmer
Jun 3, 2009
US
Ok, I have an Access table that is updated with changes from a linked Excel document. This table contains employment information so if there is a change in the system I will have a new employee table emailed and I will overwrite the old one. Now, what I need help with is the delete query. If an employee is terminated I need for the query to remove that employee's entire row from the CURRENT table. My predecessor started one but when I try and run it it just says is will delete 0 rows. Right now it should be deleting a little over 200 rows so I'm hoping someone can look at it and tell me any problems in it or guide me through creating a new one. Thanks.

Code:
DELETE DISTINCTROW CURRENT.*, Employees.TechID, CURRENT.TechID

FROM [CURRENT] INNER JOIN Employees ON CURRENT.TechID=Employees.TechID

WHERE (((Employees.TechID) Is Null) AND ((CURRENT.TechID) Not Between "1" And "100"));

I didn't see an edit button anywhere and I thought I would mention that a TechID consists of something like R01234567. They will always start with R and have eight numbers after that R. The TechID is also the primary key. Thanks.

Ok, I think I just figured it out. All I did was change INNER JOIN to LEFT JOIN and it removed the 200ish employees I needed. Thanks anyways though.

The first thing I wonder about is the JOIN and WHERE statements: the JOIN matches the TechID fields, but the WHERE clause checks those fields for values that don't match.

How about something like
Code:
delete *
from CURRENT
where TechID not in (select TechID from Employees)

Or, since you receive a replacement for the CURRENT table via e-mail, you could run two SQL statements:
Code:
delete * from CURRENT;
select *
into CURRENT
from Employees;

Aha. You finished typing before me, eh?!

Oh well, I can still use your original SQL to learn from.

I appreciate it though. I have never used a delete query so the syntax is very foreign to me, especially the WHERE and FROM parts of it. Does my correction work fine or would your code be a more proper method of doing it? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back