Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete query problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgbatdw

Programmer
Aug 11, 2004
US
I want to delete inventory records that have no qty in stock and no qty on backorder and are not present in 4 other tables (Sales Orders, Invoices, Quotes & PO's)- basically unused inventory item recs. This is the delete qry I'm trying to use, but get the error "Could not delete from specified tables.". First of all, I only want to delete from one table - "Inventory". Help points to permissions/read-only issues, but since I can run another qry to delete from this table based on different criteria, I think this is not the case. I think my query is not quite right, but don't know what needs to be changed. I'm using Access 2003.
Thanks for any help in advance.

DELETE Inventory.*
FROM (((Inventory LEFT JOIN [Invoice Lineitems] ON Inventory.[Item Number]=[Invoice Lineitems].[Item Number]) LEFT JOIN [Sales Order Lineitems] ON Inventory.[Item Number]=[Sales Order Lineitems].[Item Number]) LEFT JOIN [Purchase Order Lineitems] ON Inventory.[Item Number]=[Purchase Order Lineitems].[Item Number]) LEFT JOIN [Quotation Lineitems] ON Inventory.[Item Number]=[Quotation Lineitems].[Item Number]
WHERE (((Inventory.[Quantity in Stock])=0) AND ((Inventory.[Quantity on Back Order])=0) AND (([Invoice Lineitems].[Invoice Number]) Is Null) AND (([Sales Order Lineitems].[Sales Order Number]) Is Null) AND (([Purchase Order Lineitems].[Item Number]) Is Null) AND (([Quotation Lineitems].[Item Number]) Is Null));

Linda in MN

Perhaps this ?
DELETE * FROM Inventory
WHERE [Quantity in Stock]=0 AND [Quantity on Back Order]=0
AND [Item Number] Not In (SELECT [Item Number] FROM [Invoice Lineitems])
AND [Item Number] Not In (SELECT [Item Number] FROM [Sales Order Lineitems])
AND [Item Number] Not In (SELECT [Item Number] FROM [Purchase Order Lineitems])
AND [Item Number] Not In (SELECT [Item Number] FROM [Quotation Lineitems])

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Thanks PH for the VERY prompt reply. Well, I tried the code you supplied and didn't get the message noted above, but it took forever to run (appears to be hung up) and finally returned zero records and I know there should be 1678 returned. In trying to do some troubleshooting, I changed the code eliminating all criteria except the following "Not In (SELECT [Item Number] FROM [Invoice Lineitems])" and it still took about 4 minutes and returned zero records. There are only 5022 inventory records total. If I remove the word "Not" from the clause, it runs quickly. I think it doesn't like the "Not" clause. Any thoughts?

Linda in MN

And what about this ?
DELETE * FROM Inventory
WHERE [Quantity in Stock]=0 AND [Quantity on Back Order]=0
AND Not ([Item Number] In (SELECT [Item Number] FROM [Invoice Lineitems]))
AND Not ([Item Number] In (SELECT [Item Number] FROM [Sales Order Lineitems]))
AND Not ([Item Number] In (SELECT [Item Number] FROM [Purchase Order Lineitems]))
AND Not ([Item Number] In (SELECT [Item Number] FROM [Quotation Lineitems]))

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back