Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete query help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanman525

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2003
US
I have a table with Purchase Orders plus some other information. Some of the purchase orders are in the table multiple times because of different item numbers attached. This table is called tblmismatch

I also have a query that pulls out PO's from a different table. After I run this query, I want to delete the PO's in tblmismatch that are = the results from the query. Not sure how to go about this. Can anyone help?

[red]BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST[/red]
Create a new query that joins the table and your mismatch query.
Code:
SELECT * FROM tblmismatch
INNER JOIN yourquery ON something = something
Review the results. If this is what you want deleted, just change it to a delete query.
Code:
DELETE * FROM tblmismatch

Randy

I appreciate the reply. The select query seems to work fine, but when I change to a delete query I get an error "Specify the table containing the records you want to delete".

Randy, I'd use this instead:
Code:
DELETE [!]tblmismatch.[/!]* FROM tblmismatch

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Forgot to enter my SQL statement

Code:
DELETE tblrcvqtymismatch.ID, tblrcvqtymismatch.[Vendor Name], tblrcvqtymismatch.Date, tblrcvqtymismatch.[Order Qty], tblrcvqtymismatch.[Receive Qty], tblrcvqtymismatch.[Item Number], tblrcvqtymismatch.PO, tblrcvqtymismatch.RR, *
FROM tblrcvqtymismatch INNER JOIN qryNegative1s ON tblrcvqtymismatch.PO = qryNegative1s.PO;

PHV gave you the corrected DELETE query.
You just need to include which table you are deleting from (as he indicated in [red]red[/red]).

Randy

Got it to work, I had to set the Unique Records to Yes because of another error I received. Thank you guys for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back