Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete Queries work individually,but not from one macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

alley

Programmer
Feb 8, 2000
US
I have 3 files.. Job Headers, Job tasks, and Job workers, one to many on the last two from the header file, not cascaded.<br><br>The first query is a simple select, finding job numbers with dates less than a 'Purge Up To' parameter, then 3 delete queries matching the job numbers to delete the tasks and worker records, and finally a delete on the header file.<br><br>Individually, the deletes work, each asking for the purge to date, but if I piut them all in one macro they fail with a 'read only' error.<br><br>The chances of the user putting in the same date for each query is a big weakness, and cascading the delete from the header file is even more dangerous.<br><br>The 'read only' error doesn't make sense, unless it is referring to the files Access opens itself.<br><br>Any suggestions?<br><br>alley

Hi Alley,<br><br>i'm not sure why you would get the error maybe a data dependency.. or record locks <br><br>if the date is common to all 3 delete queries perhaps make the date a control on a form and refer to that as a parameter form!yourform.yourcontrol in the query.<br><br>as you are deleting records from the child tables first there shouldn't be a problem.<br><br>also maybe put the queries in the code module for the form either call the queries with <br>DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit<br>or<br><br>convert the SQL to a string and use<br>&nbsp;<br>DoCmd.SetWarnings (False) '<br>DoCmd.RunSQL yoursqlstatement<br>.<br>.<br>.<br>DoCmd.SetWarnings (True) '<br><br>another idea might be to create a temp table with the select query use this to identify the releted records for the delete query then drop the temp table<br><br>see ya<br>RobertD

Thanks, RobertD, for your respnse.&nbsp;&nbsp;I use a select query to find all the job numbers with dates &lt; 'Purge To' date parameter.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would like to save these job nimbers and run all 3 delete queries with the&nbsp;&nbsp;same set, to avoid errors.<br><br>Maybe I should write the whole thing in code, but the delete queries would certainly be simpler.<br><br>Thanks for your response.&nbsp;&nbsp;There are very few people out there who know about delete queries, or at least talking about it.<br><br>alley

I agree somewhat with Robertd.&nbsp;&nbsp;You should use code to run the queries and not macro's.&nbsp;&nbsp;Some macro actions will allow the next one to run immediately.&nbsp;&nbsp;This can cause the header file purge to begin before the others have ended.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you use code this will not happen.<br><br>Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back