Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delete partition or format c

Status
Not open for further replies.

lautoma

Technical User
Apr 22, 2003
US
hi i'm new and i'm glad i found you guys
i want to format my hard drive(ntfs) and my question is: do I have to delete the partition first or just formate it?
-from what i know if I only have to formate it this ( formatc )is the dos comand right?

As long as there is one partition and it is using the whole drive and that's what you want you don't have to delete it. If you are using dos type

format c:

I also use the switches /s/u too like format c: /s/u

-Volkoff007

If this is win2k - you can use disk management (run diskmgmt.msc) to manage partitions (create, delete, format).

Note: Obviously you can't format the system drive from withing windows - need to do that as part of install process - you don't say if its main or additional drive you're talking about.

Working on the fact that the C: usually has the OS on it. I am going to asume you intend to re-install Win2K on your C:.

If this is the case then boot from your Win2K CD-Rom and during the DOS based part of the installer, you will be given the option to delete, create and format partitions as either Fat32 or NTFS.

If you want to install a different OS, then I would recommend you boot from a Windows 98se floppy disk and use fdisk to delete / create the partition. (Don't forget to make the partition active if you wish to install an OS on to it.)
Then use the Format C: to make the drive useable. (The Format command is part of the RAMDisk which will be set to a different drive letter, not A:.) Note that if the partition is bigger than 2045 Mb (2.04Gb), then it will be formatted as Fat32. The DOS Format command doesn't support the NTFS file system.

Remember that if you need advise on DOS commands, you can use the help switch ' /?' as follows C:\><command> /?

Hope that helps.

Barry.

BarryMVS - I have a related question to your post.

Can you tell me what's going on if I boot from the W2K CD and it DOESN'T give me the option to delete the partition & format as NTFS? Just goes through the initial stages & then starts copying files to the &quot;installation folder&quot;.

I have installed XP dozens of times with a bootable CD and a winnt.sif file to do clean installs on PCS. I'm trying to create a similar scenario on the few PCs that need W2K. I seem to be stuck with a couple of drives that won't work the way I want them to, and it is driving me bonkers.

Can you guess what is it about a Western Digital 4.3 GB hard drive that causes this? When I boot from W2K Cd, it starts copying files to the hard drive and never lets me delete the current partition?? It's definitely drive related, because I can put a different brand drive and it works according to plan.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks for any & all info

lautoma

About you initial question, you won't be able to format your hard drive as NTFS in DOS because it doesn't understand it. You'll have to put an OS on (such as NT4, 2K or XP) which does understand it.

As has already been stated, you should be given the option during the OS install to format your drive as NTFS.

If you don't get this option, or if you already have Windows installed, its still alright. Windows has a file system converter (FAT\FAT32 -> NTFS). To convert your file system, go to a command prompt - START -> RUN -> cmd <enter>

Type convert drive_letter /fs:ntfs

e.g. convert c: /fs:ntfs

Then just reboot and wait for it to finish.

Regards

Marig,

I think it might be relaited to the original configuration of the drive.

I would advise you boot the PC with that drive in, using a win98se floppy disk and check the configuration using fdisk.

If possible, delete any pre-defined partitions and then reboot off your Win2K CD. The installer will then have to ask you to create the C: partition as non exist.

If it doesn't, then I would think their could be a possible BIOS issue and the PC isn't recognising the hard disks properley. [sad]

Hope that helps.

Barry

ICT Network Administrator
IT Services Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back