Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete Offline Flies

Status
Not open for further replies.

klownska

Technical User
Oct 24, 2003
AU
Hi I have a user who has a laptop, I set it all up for her and I had offline folders turned on, a few days later she came back saying that the machine was telling her there was no free disk space, I had a look and indeed her 40Gb disk had some 500Mb free. I have turned off offline folders and done a disk cleanup but it only managed to free up 3Gb. The user has less than 1Gb of personal data on there as everything is saved to the network when I re-enable offline folders and hit show files it shows up no files. Where does windows store the offline files so I can delete them myself? or is there something else that could have caused 35Gb+ of data to be saved locally? Thanx in advance.

Open My Computer.
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
On the Offline Files tab, click Delete Files.
In the Confirm File Delete dialog box, select the check box next to the shared folder that contains the offline files you want to delete.
Do one of the following:
To remove copies of the network files Windows automatically stores on your computer, click Delete only the temporary offline versions.
To remove the network files that are automatically stored on your computer as well as the network files you specifically made available offline, click Delete both the temporary offline versions and the versions that are always available offline.

One other possibility, turn off system restore. You'll find it by hitting the properties of my computer.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Nah, I already tried that one windows tells me there is no offline files, I have also deleted all system restore points, and I think I turned it off as well.

Are you using Disk Quotas?

Have you tried running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

This little program might show you what is using all your drive space.

316505 - Windows XP Does Not Recognize All Available Disk Space

303079 - How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes

Have you tried to press down "ctrl+shift" and then click the "delete files" icon?

a hidden "mega delete" function

/ Br David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back