Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete Login's for MSN Messenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dlusional

MIS
Mar 25, 2003
CA
I Finally bit the bullet and did the XP thing
MSN Messenger 4.7.0041 (I'm presuming the default with XP)

When I click on messenger it brings up the link,
Click here to sign in.
I click the link, and it provides me with a convenient drop down box.
I want to get RID of the different login's that show up there. Is there any way to clear the sign in box?
at least with passport, or hotmail, it gives you the ability to "pretend" you're using a public computer so this problem is alleviated in that way.

All I want to do is clear the drop down box, each time I sign out of messenger.

What I'm thinking is that I'm going to have to uninstall this version and use another.
Thanks in advance

The latest Messenger version is (I think) 4. 7. 2009. When you update yours make sure you get the XP version.

Have a look down the bottom of Tools/ Options/ Privacy, about Displaying Tabs and see if that is what you are looking for.

Also typing Control userpasswords2 in the Start Run box and clicking on Advanced and then Manage Passwords will give you some other options to look at.

Thanks for the info, at least it's something to work with for the interim.

I updated my messenger, but there is still no option to have this box empty
The Passwords aren't what I'm concerned about...it's the email addresses.
if I login using abc1@hotmail.com then that will stay there if I login using abc2@hotmail.com or abc3@hotmail.com then all three of them show up.

the Start/Run box idea is a good one, but a pain in the butt, but for the interim, it'll have to do.

Thanks again, and am still looking for how NOT to store the email addresses everytime.

Are you needing to rid on the drop down box permanantly?...will you ever want to use those other log-in's again?...If not, you can delete messenger, and reinstall...

I am not an MSN messenger fan myself but if any, can you just clear your users history?

Or are you afraid that my be too much information to come up missing and have your 'mate' or mom/dad pondering!? :0

-Z

Hi Gang,
Good suggestions all.

First of all, MSN 6 the newest version is frought with problems, for some people, **Note "some People"
I don't want to install in to start having problems with it.
--
Deleting the drop down box permanently. Not an option with XP, if you uninstall/delete messenger, then reinstall in, when you log in you pass control over to XP for username and password. so the drop down box returns.
Like I had said previously, when you log into hotmail, with multiple log ins,your last log in is displayed, UNLESS you check mark the box "This is a public computer" to which it's then cleared upon each time to hotmail.
Messenger doesn't give you this option, when you try to sign into messenger, you're presented with a drop down box with "ALL" your logins, be it personal/work/kids/partners etc.
The only solution I"ve seen so far is what linney had said about control userpasswords2 in the run box. It's a pain in the ass but at least it works.
--
Clearing history doesnt' get rid of log ins, right clicking them to delete them doesn't either.

The only other suggestion that has been made to me "offline" is to have a log in for each user with specific rights etc, but that's really a pain in the ass for a home system.

So...Still searching for that all elusive trick/tip to automagically clear the log ins from messenger.

Thanks to all that responded, Great ideas all, but still not "the one" :eek:)

Thanks Zedd:

It's looking more and more as to require an additional piece of software or cleaner as you say.

I don't know why they just can't have a check box on the log on screen to make it like a public computer is all.

it's so convoluted, I don't want a drop down box, I don't want the system to "remember" my log in info...yes I've already tweaked the options portions too, that's not the point, I have installed TweakUI for XP and it clears my cache/passwords/temp each time I close IE so
I'm just annoyed is all..

Thanks for the assistance you guys...and computers were supposed to be easier LOL

dl,

just run thru my post once on how to clean your system and then see if your msn mess is unmessed to your liking.

I hear ya bout what you are saying but this is MS windows for PC's, not MY windows for ME =)

-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back