Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete locally stored profiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizardkng

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
US
On my w2k domain, I am using roaming profiles, stored on a NAS device.

The profiles are also being stored locally, on each workstation.

It seems like some of the profiles on the NAS device are much older than the stored profiles on the workstations, even though everyone is set to use roaming profiles.

There are also "extra" profiles being stored "username.000" and "username.domainname".

My question is, how can I safely make sure that all users are using a SINGLE copy of their profile, make sure it is being stored on and retreived from the NAS device, and stop these extra .000 profiles from being created?

Should I just drag and drop the newest dated (using the modified date) profiles from the workstation to the profile share? And overwrite the old one on the NAS device with the newer one?

What if the newest one is one of the 000 named profles? can I just rename it and copy it anyway?

Thanks.

Scot

Scot,

Why don't you create a test user, exactly the same as a standard user. Test its behaviour by deleting/creating profiles and see where they are storing.

Check out the my post on roaming profiles in the Windows 2000 server forum.

Regards
Greg

When you use roaming profiles, i believe that when you log on, it copies your roaming profile down to the local machine, and when you log off, it copies it back up.

So that would leave old local profiles on your machine. I think that's where they are coming from.

Is there a way to clean up these temp profiles that are created?
Perhaps a log off script?
Seems a rather cumbersome way to do it.

acl03,

Yes, I realize that, but the OLD profile is on the NAS device, and the NEWEST (modified) profile is on the local machine.

And when some users are logging on, they arent getting the new one, theyre continually using the old (local) profile.

What I ultimately want to do, is delete ALL locally stored profiles, and force them to get a fresh copy, but I dont want their "fresh copy" to be a year old. I want their fresh copy to be the newest copy of their profiles.

Thanks again!

PS. Greg29, Ill check that post shortly.

Greg29,

Read your thread, and while very informative, thats not the case here. My users log on and off correctly, they do not reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back