Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete duplicates, but update another field before that

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtwig

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2002
US
I have a query that has some duplicate records in it (duplicate PO numbers). I have some invoices that have two or more checks cut against these duplicate POs.

What I want to do is to total the amount of the invoices against the PO, sum them together and place the total in a field (new or old, doesn't matter), and then delete the duplicate PO numbers.

Example of data:
PONum InvAmt
0001 10.00
0002 25.00
0002 45.00
0003 50.00

What I want is:
0001 10.00
0002 70.00
0003 50.00

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike

Hi big,

Paste you're query.

It'll be easier (for you to use also - when solution posted).

Regards,

Darrylle "Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience." darrylles@totalise.co.uk

The field with the duplicates is PONum. If PONum is a duplicate, I want a sum of all the AccAmt and StdCost values stored. Once I have the sum, I want to delete the duplicate PONums and store the sums in the PONum record I'm keeping.

SELECT [COMBINED].PONum, [COMBINED].StdCost, [Vendor Allowances].AccAmt
FROM [COMBINED] LEFT JOIN [Vendor Allowances] ON [COMBINED].PONum = [Vendor Allowances].PONum
ORDER BY [COMBINED].PONum;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back