Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete dll reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillMaster

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2006
US
I have a project that I moved to another machine that gives me an error because one of the dll's that it references is not in the same location on the new machine.

I can look in the references window and see it is flagged as missing. When I use the browse button to locate the file I get an error that I am trying to load a dll that already exists. I can only check and uncheck items in the reference window. Is there a way to delete that reference totally so that I can browse and add the correct path to the dll?

Yes. Simply uncheck the MISSING reference. Then you can recheck the new reference.

Yes, but the problem is, after I uncheck that entry and browse for the new entry VB tells me it cant load that location. (duplicate dll)

Oh, sorry, I didn't understand that. Have you examined every other checked line item? Often when one goes missing VB automatically references another if it finds it.

The way to totally delete a reference in VB is to unregister it. Use regsvr32 with the -u switch.

Bob

I am wondering if you don't have the DLL properly registered on the new computer. When moving a project from one computer to another, I don't think the libraries need to be installed to the same path. As long as it's registered on the machine it should find it, regardless if it's stored in a different folder.

No, they do not need to be on the same path, so I've been wondering the same thing.

[soapbox]

When COM instantiates a late bound object, it first looks up the ProgID, which is the human-readable name of the class. From there, it gets the ClassID, which is the GUID. From there, it finds out what file the class is stored in.

Early binding eliminates some of these steps, which is why it's more efficient. Furthermore, intellisense leverages the fact that you know which classid you're using at design time to display information about the class in the IDE.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back