Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delete data after X number of days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

idtstudios2

Programmer
Aug 12, 2005
US
I have a table that logs certain data for a website and it has a field that holds the date the row was added in the format 11/25/2005.

I have been trying for an hour and I cannot seem to write an sql query that will delete the rows older than 14 days.

Any advice?

Thanks as always,
Andrew

Generally for something like this instead of saving the time it was put in in XX/XX/XXXX format I just use the unix timestamp. The timestamp is completely numeric and so you would then just subtract the known constant (how long in seconds 2 weeks is) from the the current time and if the value in the database is less then that, delete it.

Either using unix time timestamp or put dead date to your DB.

for example, data was added in on 11/01/2005. Before insert it into DB, you calculate the date 15 days later (11/15/2005). Then insert 11/15/2005 into DB instead of 11/01/2005. That's easy to write a script to delete data based on the date in DB

what database?
mysql ?

convert your date to a standard mysql format (YYYY-MM-DD),

DELETE from yourtable where yourdate > date_sub(curdate(), interval 14 day);

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back