Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delete copy of cookies folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

geokor

Programmer
Aug 16, 2000
US
I made a copy of my cookies folder and even though I have renamed it and tried changing its attributes, I can not delete the copy. It denies me access. Also the system checkbox under attributes is grayed out. Is there any way to delete this folder?

Thanks.

George K

Thanks. Been there, tried that. No luck. Access denied.
Funny thing though, when I use attrib to look at its attributes, there aren't any. It's not showing as a hidden or system folder. It simply wont let me delete it.

George K

Did you try starting from DOS MODE (before WINDOWS startup screen comes up and not 'START Button>>>DOS Prompt') using the F5 or F8 key before windows starts?

Also, you shouldn't delete Cookies folder since:

1) some web sites still use cookies, and
2) that folder is required by IE.

If you intend on deleting the cookies you can create a BAT file and have it run in the STARTUP group.

EXAMPLE:

Code:
rem **** KillCook.BAT ************
rem * This is supposed to remove *
rem * the cookies that have been *
rem * inserted into my system.   *
rem ******************************
rem *                            *
rem **** Start Copying Here ******
@ECHO OFF
CLS
CD \WINDOWS-FOLDER-NAME-HERE\Cookies
DEL *.TXT
EXIT
rem **** End Copying Here ****

OR--you can

click on TOOLS (in IE brower)
click INTERNET OPTIONS
click SECURITY (tab)
click INTERNET (usually a GLOBE)
click CUSTOM (button)
click DISABLE (radio button in COOKIES section)

Take your pick.

--MiggyD

Or start with your EBD since it will be in DOS and delete from there.
You will need to have attrib on the floppy to do it from there or understand the pathing to use the one in windows.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks all for your help. I tried from DOS (but not my Boot Disk... why would that make a difference?) but the problem was in the folder not the method.

BTW, I was experimenting with a Perl script that could read cookies so what I did was copied the cookies folder to Cookies_original and then messed around with the original folder called Cookies. Then I renamed the real folder to Junk and renamed the copy back to Cookies. The problem seems to be that the machine KNOWS which is the original folder no matter what it is called. New cookies were being put in JUNK not COOKIES! I could delete COOKIES but NOT JUNK. Interesting.

So what I had to do was delete all the old cookies from JUNK, rewrite the index.dat as an empty file. (BTW that was interesting also. Seems notepad, wordpad, even VIM could not overwrite my index.dat. But a freebie editor called EditPad Lite did it just fine.) Once I had JUNK totally empty, I copied all the saved cookies back to JUNK, opened the saved version of index.dat in my editor, and then cut and pasted its contents into the index.dat on JUNK that could not be deleted and saved it. Then I delted the copied COOKIES file and renamed JUNK back to COOKIES. (WHew!)

Seems like the OS has a lock on that folder.

George K

When you have the problem, you get as far away from the problem OS as possible because you don't know what locks are there.
What OS, by the way? Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Wow, that sounds like a mess. Glad, you were able to clean it up.

Sorry everyone, this is running win 98 and I don't think it has any patches, updates, etc. on it. Just 98 out of the box and as is. (It has 2 hard drives, the other, and my server run Linux.)

Thanks again.

George K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back