Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete and Replace Access Table in VB6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausmoran

MIS
Apr 8, 2001
US
I am a complete novice and in serious of need of help. I have to figure out how to delete a table in an access database and replace it with a new one using Visual Basic 6. I would be very appreciative if someone could give me a hand or point me in the right direction on how to do this.

The table has a field that is linked to another table, so I also need to reestablish the link once I replace the old table with the new one.

Thanks in advance,
Austin

When you say 'linked to another table' do you mean a relationship? If so, I don't think it's possible to add/remove a relationship through code, but then again I haven't seen everything yet. You can use SQL queries to create a table, and if I hadn't left my book at home today I'd be able to verify that there's an SQL command to delete a table (actually it archives the records into another table, which is effectively the same thing). Dig around the inet for some SQL info, you should find what you're looking for. If you just need to migrate existing data into another table, you can use this code as an example after you make the new table:
--------------------------
'Using 2 Adodc data controls
Dim Ctr As Long 'Field counter
AdoOld.Recordset.MoveFirst

Do While Not AdoOld.Recordset.EOF
AdoNew.Recordset.AddNew
For Ctr = 0 To AdoOld.Recordset.Fields.Count - 1
If Not IsNull(AdoOld.Recordset.Fields(Ctr).Value) Then
AdoNew.Recordset.Fields(Ctr).Value = AdoOld.Recordset.Fields(Ctr).Value
End If
Next Ctr
AdoNew.Recordset.Update