Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delete/add table in linkedserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

yetanotherjo

Technical User
Oct 5, 2003
AU
I've set up an Access database as a linked server. Is there a way to delete and add (ie "insert into") a table from this using a stored procedure in SQL2005 Express?

I also meant to ask...BOL is full of dire warnings that linked servers shouldn't be used anymore. What's the best simple alternative using Express?

Where do you see in BOL that linked servers shouldn't be used?

Linked servers are the only way to execute DML statements against a remote server.

Yes you can insert into and delete from a table via a linked server.
Code:
delete from AccessDB...TableName
where Column = 'Value'
Code:
insert into AccessDB...TableName
select Column1, Column3
from SQLTable
Where Column = 'Value'

In order to update and delete via a linked server the remote table must have a primary key defined.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Ok, I can't find the references to them not being supported in future either now :p ... must've been pregnancy-brain and sleep deprivation induced.

I actually wanted to delete/insert the actual table, not just write records to it...In hindsight, I don't actually and I've gotten my original delete and insert procedures working - I was trying to make life more complicated than it needed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back