Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DELETE A PORT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSSTCO

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2003
US
I HAVE CONFIGURED A PORT (SHOULDN'T HAVE) WHEN INSTALLING
AN HP PRINTER. THE PORT GOT CONFIGURED WITH THE SAME ADDRESS AS THE HP. I CANNOT DELETE THE PORT. I GET SOMETHING LIKE "THIS OPERATION CANNOT BE PERFORMED".
AS ADMINISTRATOR IT LOOK LIKE I HAVE ALL THE BLOCKS CHECKED TO MANAGE THE PRINTER.
I ALSO HAVE A PRINTER SERVER APPLIANCE CONTROLLING 2 EPSON PRINTERS. THE EPSONS JUST PRINT RANDOM GARBAGE SPECIAL CHARACTERS NOW.
HOW DO I DELETE THE PORT?

THANK YOU

Doug

See if this helps:

(From:
Deleting a Windows 2K Printer Port
(Essential if user has captured an AppleTalk port during the printer set- up process.)
1. Open Printers.
2. On the File menu, click Server Properties, and then click the Ports tab.
3. In Ports on this server, click the port you want to delete, and then click Delete
Port.
4. Click Yes to confirm.
Notes
?? To open Printers, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Printers .
?? Deleting a port removes it from the available port list. Any printer that
communicates through that port is disconnected.

CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Thanks, but
That procedure is exactly what I have attempted to use numerous times. When I hit delete, I get an error THIS OPERATION CANNOT BE PERFORMED. I cannot delete the port!!

Doug

Have you tried:

Stopping the Print Spool service then trying to delete the port?

Attempted to delete the port in safe mode?

CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

I'll try that as soon as I can.
I am in MD and the site where the port needs deleted is in PA.
Thanks

Doug

Another note to ponder on:
You cannot delete a port or a printer if you have a job in the spooler. Cancel the job, then uninstall.

The test continues...

The port was deleted via NET USE /delete

I still need help.
I installed an EPSON 590 via a Centronics / RS232 cable to a PC. Everything prints fine from this PC.
I set the printer to sharing, I did an ADD PRINTER on all
the other PCs (XP). The EPSON has an LPT1 port assigned. The printer shows available from all the other PCs, However, when something is printed it gets held in the print queue. What am I missing?? What routs the print from
a PC back to the PC that has the direct cable connection to the printer?
Thanks

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back