Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delegating file admin permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmoes

MIS
Apr 24, 2003
CA
Hey all,

It's been about 12 years since I've been in the IT game. But I'm having an issue with our current IT who doesn't want to create a folder/file structure for me.

Right now the network drive is a dog's breakfast shared throughout the organization permissions are 1 level deep. If you have access to the folder in the root drive you have access to everything in that folder.

I created a nice structured folder setup for our dept. And listed out who needed access to what.. they're telling me it's too complicated.

I want to propose that they created a separate drive and they just delegate file admin permissions to me but I dont know the current terminology and it's likely to be met with strong resistance being a large unionized environment so I want to get it right, make it easy for them.

I dont need AD access or any account control. Just the ability to add/remove permissions to folders within our dept. folders.

Tips on how I can approach this with kid gloves or better options are appreciated.

Thank you.

~AZ

Too complicated"? Hmmm.

What you're asking for seems very straight forward and pretty easy to implement. They either can't help you (they don't know what they're doing), or they don't want to help you.

I don't know your organization, but here's how I would approach it in my organization. I would write up a very simple explanation of what I'm asking for, with some bullet points on how it would benefit the business. The technical description should be short and sweet. The bullet points must be things that management wants. Things like security, ease of management, simplified backups, etc. Then I would send it to my boss and let him run it up the command chain. That's basically going over IT's head. The IT person that pushed back on it gets his priorities from his boss. If your boss asks his boss to do it, with business justification as to why it's needed, then it may happen.

Actually it might be best to just make it about Security (no bullet points). That's a hot topic these days. Can you see other department's data that you shouldn't be able to see? Can other departments see things of yours that they shouldn't be able to see? Setting up a share that only your department can access is simple to do and will accomplish what you want. It doesn't need to be a separate "drive". It can still be a folder on the server, but when shared, it will look like a drive to your people.

In fact, don't ask for a "drive". Ask for them to create a "share" that only your group can access. That's the Windows term for it. Then on your client PC, you map that share to a drive letter. At that point you will have a "drive" that only your department can access.

Thank you for the reply, greatly appreciated.

I went in e expecting an argument, but they just needed a verbal explanation in a different setting. A plan was worked out. Not sure why it was so challenging but I achieved my goal.

Thank You again

Edit: FYI they initially estimated my request would take 14hrs. We sat there and did it in real time in 2hrs including the discussion.

~AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back