Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delayed write failed over network

Status
Not open for further replies.

thurik

Technical User
Nov 10, 2002
NL
i have a wlan network with three xp computers, if i "pull" files from one computer to another there is no problem, if i push files larger than about 8.000k i get the "windows delayed write failed" message and in event viewer event id 50: "{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\LanmanRedirector. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere." in my wired network it is identical, i found a solution for win2k but not for xp,
please help me

thurik, could you please share your win2k solution with me. I'm getting the same write delay error from a user accessing a win2k server. Thanks.

I am having the same problem - WinXP Pro clients to a Server 2000 SP3 server. I have tried disabling SMB Security Signature - no help - then tried disabling SMB all together - same error. All problems occur when backing up to the server using the NT Backup program in WinXP. Since the other suggestion involves heuristic locking in SMB, and I have disabled SMB, I don't feel this is the answer either. MS needs to address this issue - I am having many trashed backups because of this.

I have serious problems reading this thread, so I am typing blind.

1. See:
This is the client-side patch

2. On the server, a lot was done with SP4 under Win2k, so apply it.

3. If you can beg from Microsoft, download and obtain Q812793 for the client. This will solve the problem up to about 4 Gigs in a single file transfer.

4. There is strong indications that when XP SP2 comes out there will essentially be #3 plus some other things related to #2 to eliminate this problem.

5. This is not per se a DMA setting issue on the server.

my solution was simple,
i enabled the guest account,
this is not enabled by default,
no more problems

thurik,

The guest account has nothing to do with
this problem, trust me.

Our goupe has been having the same problem. We have about 75 to 100 users on XP and it will only happen to maybe 15 users at anyone time. We have all of the Service packs that Microsoft has asked to apply and we are looking at both the client end (Windows XP Pro) and the Server end (Win 2K Server Advanced) but still come up with nothing. Any help would be great!

Our problem is resolved. Here is what we did to resolve this. We have a Win 2k Server with 3 Nic Cards. 2 of which are active and the 3rd disabled. Our load balancing software for the Network showed that we had the #1 card as balancing with the #3 card as reserved. We don't know if this is what happens when the server OS is installed. So we removed the disabled NIC card and then put the #2 NIC as a fail over and our through put has been great. We have been running 14 hours on this configuration and all is running well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back