Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delayed write failed error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palynth

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US
See if anyone has seen this on a 2000 pro system

I have a laptop Dell C610 with 2000 pro on it. After you push ctrl-alt-delete to log onto the network I get this

Delayed Write Failed

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file
\device\harddiskVolume1\Winnt\system32\wbem\repository\cim.$ec. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of you coputer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

I looked on technet and they that you need to put on the latest SP. I have SP 3 now so what else could it be?

thanks for the link. I have SP 3 arleady on the laptop so I don't know if that could be the issue. I could try to reinstall the sp3. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Thank you in advance

1. Check the detailed workaround/description on the XP side of the fence, as it is often a BIOS or hardware issue rather than a Service Pack or Hotfix one:

2. For Win2k, I prefer making the SMB changes in Group Policy for the servers, irregardless of the Service Packs installed:

An extract from:
This describes issues with Win XP SP1 clients, but believe me it helps in Win2k Pro clients if the above did not resolve the issue:

Disable SMB signing on servers that host resources for XP SP1 clients. To do so, you need to modify the Default Domain Controllers policy, a built-in policy that applies to all DCs. Open the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in. Right-click the Domain Controllers organizational unit (OU), and click Properties. Click the Group Policies tab, select the Default Domain Controllers Policy, then click Edit. Expand the keys and navigate to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options. Here, you will find four of Win2K’s SMB signing options, including

Digitally sign client communication (always)
Digitally sign client communication (when possible)
Digitally sign server communication (always)
Digitally sign server communication (when possible)

A default DC installation enables the last option, "Digitally sign server communication (when possible)." You turn off SMB signing on a DC by disabling this feature. If the last option isn't enabled, check the settings for the other three options and disable every enabled SMB option. At this point, you can wait 5 minutes for the automatic Group Policy refresh cycle, or you can manually refresh the policy on each DC with the command secedit/refreshpolicy machine_policy/enforce.

I had bought a new motherboard and had this problem. It turns out (in my case) that my IDE drivers on the motherboard CD were Beta drivers.

I got the recent ones from their website and the "Delayed Write" error went away.

D

danomac's post reminds me of something that often helps in this situation. Download (if your Latitude is Intel Chipset based) the Intel Application Accelerator. This is a MS approved chipset driver update utility, and in certain settings like yours can do wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back