Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delayed Write Error in XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota81

Technical User
May 15, 2001
US
Have a friend who put in a new WD harddrive and XP spat out a "delayed write error" after a short time, trashed XP completely. Reinstalled windows, got the same error message again, trashed XP. Anyone seen this before? Is it a defective harddrive maybe?

A delayed write error simply means that XP tried to write to a drive but was unable to and the operation timed out. My encounter with this was with an external HDD which turned out to be bad and had to be replaced. I'm sure it was bad, because Samsung replaced it under warranty. Try downloading and running the WD diagnostics on your drive. The tests you need to run will take about 8 hours to complete, so plan on leaving it running over night. I'd bet you have a deep down HDD issue.

Hi
I started having this error about 2 weeks ago, and today finally got to solve it.
I installed the latest drivers of the controler card (promise tx2) It was painfull because win XP would not acept the new drivers so I had to go and change the name of the "pnpscsi.inf" file and reboot the system and then direct the hardware wizzard to the new driver file.
Carlos

CAUSE
This issue may be caused if any of the following conditions exist:
. The "Enable write caching on the disk" feature for your disk is turned on.
. Your Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller is configured in either of the following ways:
. You are using a 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
. Your BIOS settings are configured to force faster UDMA modes.

See:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back