Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delay in VM pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

altaphon

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2006
US
Legend V7 R12, MLM007 voicemail, 4-port. When a user dials in to retrieve messages, it takes 5-6 seconds to play the initial greeting. It sounds as if this is due to the hard disk having to spin up, but I thought it was running all the time. Is there any way to reduce the time between end of ringing and beginning of the VM playback? This isn't a new symptom, has been this way since we turned up the system, which is otherwise fine.

The HD should be running all the time.

If it's not, you may have a problem.

MLM-007's are kinda' flaky.

I did some "DIAGNOSTIC TESTS" on one and learned a very hard lesson.

If, during the Diagnostics, the Hard Drive decides that it has too many errors, it will NOT re-boot.

Good Luck....

I guess the HD is running all the time.

The system hasn't been flaky for us ... yet .... just looking for some way around the delay. Setting to the default system greeting instead of the recorded one cut a second or two off but it's still about 4 seconds before we hear "welcome to Merlin Mail" Is this normal?

For the most part, yes it is normal to have a bit of a delay.

What's happening is the Phone System is sending a series of "MODE CODES" to the voice mail by way of some Touch Tones that you don't hear.

That's part of it.

AND - once the voice mail hears the "MODE CODES", it then knows how to answer the caller.

OK, that's probably it. I didn't get that far in my system programming, I still need to enter my mailbox number, so the system is sending the default mode codes and not identifying which station is calling in. How about a pointer to how to enable that, so the MLM knows I'm dialing in from extension 123 and only needs my password? Thanks much.

That's not an option - you can shortcut by pressing just # instead of extension number and #, but that only saved 3 to 4 keystrokes.

Okay, thanks TTT and MM ... I figured I had missed some configuration option in the setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back