Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delay in SaveAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDJ52

MIS
Mar 30, 2001
US
We have just installed a new WIN2000 server. We have moved our files to this server. One of these folders holds images of bid we get back from various vendors. For whatever reason we are now delayed in saving these files.
We receive the fax and then chose to do a 'save as' after we open it. At this time it now waits until it brings up all files of the same type before allowing us to type in the new file name that we wish to save. The folder contains some 10,000 files.
On the newer P4 systems this delay is only 3 to 4 seconds. On the older P3 systems this delay could be up to 15 to 20 seconds. Both systems have WIN200 professional on them with 256mb of memory. This never used to do this. We were allowed to start typing the name in the filename box as soon as the 'save as' popup came up.
Is this a result of the new server and domain? Is there a setting that we can do to allow immediate typing without waiting for the system to identify all other files of the same filetype?
The new server has DNS active by the way.
Thanks for any help
I will be posting this in the WIN2000 Server forum also.
Mike.

When you say you are saving the faxes...what application are you saving them in?

Have you checked your "Default File locations"

mot98
[cheers]

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

We 1st open the faxes to see what they are. Based on what is in the fax, they could be saved to any of 3 folders. The problem is when we do the 'save as' is when the delay happens. As stated above it simply will not allow us time to change the file name until it has allocated all files of the same filetype.
HELP

Are the files being stored on the server or the workstations them selves?

Try changing the file associations.
I don't know why, but when I have a large number of files in one directory associated
with certian programs, the save as takes forever to open.
It may have to do with the icons or the program. Don't know.

The files are being saved to the new server with w2k on it.
I am not sure how I can take part of these files and reassociate them to another software.

Right click on any file select properties and at opens with there is a change button
Select a program with a simple icon
See if this fixes things at all.
It may not help you at all.
Change things back if it doesn't help
Another thing you could do is save these files in an empty folder and then move them to the right folder. you could even make a batch file to move them every day/hour etc and schedule it to run automatcally

I agree with orejas.
I have seen the save menu VERY slow to come up on folders with MANY image files in them. In my case, the image files were associated with Photo Shop. REassociating them to another simple image viewer usch as iranView or even Internet Exlorer, made the save as menu come up much faster.
(I am not sure of the mechanics of why this is so with PhotoShop, just sure of the truth in it.)

You could always figure out a workflow of cleaning out the older fax saves,(such as orejas batch file idea) making the number of files in your operating folders smaller. Good luck, and Happy Computing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back