Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delay in opening exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDoom

Programmer
Aug 31, 2001
US
I have a 2.6 application stored on a server for multiple users to access. The problem is that when just one user is on or using the application, it takes about 30 seconds for the application to open for the second user. It will just hang on a blank Foxpro white screen. I notice that as soon as the first user closes the application, it will immediately open for the second user. I know it can't be the network software because we have another foxpro 2.6 application that is also on the server and has no delay problems with more than 30 users accessing it. It must be some coding missing somewhere.
Any ideas would be greatly appeciated.

Could it be he way the dbf files are being opened? If a file is being opened in exclusive mode that could explain why other users are being made to wait until that first user has finished.

I used the statement SET EXCLUSIVE OFF and when the tables are used I included the SHARED command so I don't believe that is the problem.

Can you determine which line(s) of code causes the delay? How about running the app from the command window, is it just as slow there? If not, it could be a slowdown of loading the support file. (ESL, ESO). If you have the trace window open, you may be able to see what lines are running slower. You may need to tweak network settings.
Dave S.

Look at the config file for the other FP application that works fine and look at the config.fpw for the one giving you the problems and see what difference may cause the delay.

Thanks...I will give these a shot and let you know.

Is foxpro only running once on each computer?

If you run foxpro on each computer and get/send data from a master computer, you should have no delay.
If you start Foxpro on a master, then start it on the slave, they are independant systems as far as Foxpro is concernd.
You then SET DEFAULT TO.... (master).
Ken F

The stand alone application is stored entirely on a server and is accessed by multiple users on a novell network. The users do not have foxpro on their computers nor is it on the server.
I'm not sure how I would do any master/slave settings in the application if that's what you mean.

If the application is ONLY on the server then one would assume each user runs it on the server so you are running the app more than once.
Is there some where in the app that you can select a data drive?
If there is, you might be able to put a copy of the app on each machine and run it from that machine then set the data drive to the server.
If you start plain foxpro it will take around 1 second to take you to the main foxpro window. Start it again and it can take upto 10 seconds. Why? I don't know, but I'm sure there is a guru or two here that can tell you.
Ken F

I'm trying to avoid having to install the application on each user's computer, especially since I'm frequently making changes to it.
Thanks for your suggestions.

I've determined that the delay is either related to the esl file or the config.fpw. I created a very small exe with just a menu and the problem still occurs. I haven't a clue what if anything should be done to the foxw2600.esl file and I don't know how to change the config file or if it should be included in the project and then incorporated into the exe file, which so far didn't work.
The config file currently has the following statements.
Any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks much.
TMPFILES="C:\TEMP"
EDITWORK="C:\TEMP"
PROGWORK="C:\TEMP"
SORTWORK="C:\TEMP"
KEYCOMP = WINDOWS
MEMLIMIT=90,1024,12288
CENTURY=ON
PATH=WORK
CATMAN=OFF

Not to state an "obvious" possibility, but have you made sure that "C:\TEMP" actually exists and it's accessable to all users?

Rick

Yes...I have double checked this and the c:\temp folders are present and accessible.

Try setting the exe file as read-only, while is not the user locks the file while loading and at this time the file is not accessible for other user, i belive that could help

Tried and didn't have any effect..thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back