Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delay dial on copper lines. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhmarkb

Technical User
Sep 17, 2005
US
I have a few sites with IPO v2 r7.0.23
They have copper lines on combo cards.
they are using dial 9 to get out. It takes up to 4 sec after your done dialing your number before you are get connected to a line?
Even with hitting # after the number. ( that speeds it up some but still seems a long wait. )
Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
Mark

How are your shortcodes configured?

NTE-wave-logo-for-a4-header.gif
Not happy with Avaya ATM....

Check your short codes, it should NOT be 1N; or N;. Take the ; out and it will speed it up. The semi-colon tells the system to wait until all digits are received prior to sending out the number. That's not required with POTS lines, only PRI.

We use short codes that don't use the dialing delay timer, but rather wait for the user to dial the appropriate number of digits. In our area local calls are ten digits and toll are 1+ten digits. So we match XXXXXXXXXX - once the tenth digit is dialed, the match happens and the system begins dialing.
Mike

Thank you, The short code of 1N; was in place. I removed that and check the 10 X was correct and it helped.

Under your lines and then analog option there is a wait for dial tone option and default is 3 seconds. Changed this to 500ms and that is where youre wait is.

I'm having this same problem with a IPO 500 v 4.2. The phones will say waiting for line... it can take as long as 10 seconds or more for the call to connect. It's not something that happens on every call though or even everyday. I guess I should take a look at the shortcodes as well huh?

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

@norstarboy125 - you don't have a shortcode issue, you have a trunk/group issue. Look there first.
Mike

Mike, can you give me a little more detail. I'm kinda new to programming IPO's. I know the customer has 8 analog trunks and all are in the same group id. This was a move that I did for them and the programming all stayed the same trunk wise. I only added a 2 port analog card and made some ext's ring on various sets. No trunk programming was changed.

Jeremy J. Carter

Waiting for line" means that the system doesn't have an available trunk. So either your lines are very busy or one (or more) of your lines doesn't actually have dialtone. I would confirm that all eight lines are actually good at the PBX - I suspect that is the issue.
Mike

Mike,

I wish that was the issue, I've checked the lines from the telco RJ and on the modular end going into the IP Office. All lines test good, I come from a Nortel background and on all Nortel's the trunks when dialing out grab from the bottom and work there way up. I noticed on this system the lines are picked at random? There can be nobody on the phone and it might grab line 5, next time it might grab 7? Is this the way that it is suppose to work? I don't think this is what's causing my problem but it's something else that I noticed that seems strange.

Jeremy J. Carter

Disable any analog ports that are not connected, this cured my issue with waiting for line

They pick up in a circular fashion, first line 1, next call line 2, next call line 3. Unless one of them is busy then it skips over it. I would do some test calling when the system is not busy. That way, you can see which line is the line that is the culprit and take it from there. Just because you get dialtone on your test set doesn't mean it's strong enough for the IPO. Run line Impedence on each line and that will help the IPO know what kind of signal is being sent to it.

Also, if you have ground start lines, which I wouldn't think you do, you need to make sure the IPO has a proper ground on it.

The trunks are loop start and as for disabling unused trunks I don't believe there are any. The system is using(2) 4x8 cards and (1) 2 port analog card, so all 8 are in use.

Jeremy J. Carter

Run the System Status application, click on Active Calls, and place a series of test calls. Find out which trunks are being used, and which are being skipped over when you get the "Waiting for Line".

If you are using 6P modular plugs for the lines, they don't seat as well as a regular 8C does, and it may not be making contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back