Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delay before Macro runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

namgc2

Programmer
Sep 8, 2007
GB
Hi,

When I run a Macro it starts instantly. When some of my colleagues run the same Macro there is a 10 second delay before the Macro runs. I've noticed that those who get delayed have a different session name. Is there something I should be looking for in my code which slows down the one session type. Or is there something I could add in.

Many thanks

Interesting, where is the macro located? Shared drive? Locally on the individual PC? How is it being launched? Quickpad? Hotkey? Shell?

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

Hi,

The Macros are kept on a shared drive. I have tried copying some onto a colleagues C drive and running from there but still suffers from the delay. The macros are usually run from a macro button on the toolbar but suffer from the same problem even when seleted through the toolbar menu - tools - macro ..etc

Many thanks

I've noticed some lag when using a shared drive although 10 seconds seems excessive.

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

I have experienced this too, the same application within Attachmate when run on different PC's from the same shared file can have delays of upto 10 or 20 seconds, where others may not.

As the application is identical is it a Windows PC setting that I need to alter?

If I recall right, EB has a weird compile bug where it'll attempt to access the folder it were it was last saved.

For example:
I write the code and save it on \\server\dev that only I have access to. I copy the file to \\server\eb.

Users access the code on \\server\eb. When they run the macro, it'll try to access \\server\dev (because that's where the macro stored the macros location). There's a 5-10 second wait, probably waiting for a response from the server, before it gives up and compiles the good code.

Where if I run the code from \\server\eb then everything runs fine, because I have access to the path it's looking for. Even though it does nothing with the files there.

Another possiblity is that there's lag from the file having to recompile at runtime. Depending on the machine this could take 5-10 seconds if the macros are fairly large.

My problem I think is based on the session type that the system logs into. For 1 type of session everyones scripts run instantly from the shared drive but those with the other session there is a 10 second delay before any of the available scripts will run, regardless of the size of the script.

The only thing I can think of is trying to write a macro from the machine that is dragging to troubleshoot from there. Then create a check to see if one session is running or the other, then having the macro that works with the dog run with that session, and the macro that works run from the other. The only other thing I can think of is maybe you have a network issue. I had one Agent who had the same setup as everybody else have this issue. It turned out that she had some sort of connectivity issue based on the settings in Attachmate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back