Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defult user

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBarnes

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2001
US
Is there a way to develop a defult user setting in windows 2000. This is what we are tring to do. We are about to push out 250 computers and we would like to setup a group so we can setup a defult setting for things like (screen saver, power managment settings, internet settings,etc..) I would appreciate any help someone can give. It would be a pain to set these setting over and over for 250 computers. We will be ghosting the computer if possible we just need to get the security and settings straight.

Thanks

It might be possible, but I have no idea how.
You can however set them up as part of an OU and create a GP for them that limits the desktop,Internet as well as a lot of others.

is the 250 computers going to be on a win2k domain or just a workgroup, or not networked ?

Not sure if this will help - Create a user and set it up the way you want. Then right click on My Computer - Properties - User Profiles. Highlight the user you just made and copy it to the Default User profile (c:\Documents ans Settings\Default User). If you cannot see the default user folder then you will need to go to Folder Options and make sure the View setting for hidden files is set to show them. Before you copy the profile you may want to make a copy of the Default User folder.
Now whenever a new user logs on they will get the default settings.

Yes they will be on a mixed 2000, NT network. Thanks I did read about doing this user and moving it to the default user folder. I will try this today. If anyone has experience doing this type of roll out please I would not mind your knowledge.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back